Friday, July 6, 2012

Cotton Candy Rainbow Cupcakes


Normally, I would not choose to feature two cupcake posts in a row, but there was something about these particular cupcakes, that made it impossible to put them off. When I saw them, I instantly knew I had to make them. They are part baking adventure, and part art project. The colors are so fun and vivid (The brighter the better). They almost have a Lisa Frank vibe to them. Remember those colorful folders, trapper keepers, and pencils of yesteryear? Hard to believe there was a time, I actually wanted to be the “next Lisa Frank”, but that’s a whole other story.

 Since it’s July, I thought I’d make cotton candy flavored cupcakes. With the bright colors of the rainbow cupcakes, the cotton candy flavor seemed only logical. Cotton candy reminds me of summer. The smell, the taste, everything about it seems to have a nostalgic feel. It gives off a carnival/boardwalk aura. Though many people think cotton candy is strictly for children, it is actually making quite the comeback. Just visit tastyclouds.com, where you can try their famous“martini puffs”, and choose from over 30 gourmet flavors. 

I used the same recipe as the: oh-la-la-pink-bubblegum-cupcakes , because I figured that there is enough work entailed in making these colorful works of art. The only difference in the cupcakes is that I used cotton candy flavor oil. The key to making these cupcakes is working neatly as possible. The colors may seep through a little, but that’s okay. It’s all in good fun, and you can cover the tops with frosting anyway. You can choose to pipe or spread your frosting. I just effortlessly piped swirls on top of my cupcakes. Rainbow sprinkles make the perfect finishing touch, to these vibrant little treats.



You will need:

Six cups/bowls & spoons
Six different food colors (preferably gel-based food coloring)
Prepared cake batter (with cotton candy flavor oil)
Muffin tins
Cupcake liners (12-24 depending on how full you fill them)
Icing
Sprinkles (optional) 


Pre-heat your oven, and divide cake batter evenly into six cups.
Add desired amount of food coloring to each cup. (The color tends
to fade a little with baking, so make sure you add enough!)
Work backwards: start with the bottom of the rainbow (purple).
 Place a small amount at bottom of liner.

Next, top the purple batter with blue. Be careful not to mix the colors.

Add green ( I used turquoise)
 Note: add layers in small amounts, or you will run out of room for the top colors

Add yellow layer

Add orange layer

Top the cupcake with red ( I used pink instead) and bake as directed.
Baked cupcake 
Makes the liner look tie-dyed

So vivid!


3 comments:

Bethany said...

So colorful! They look fun to make. I love the teal color you used!!

Sara said...

Yummy! Love these!! I am going to make these with my kids! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is a great web site. I stumbledupon it
;) I may come back once again since i have bookmarked it.
Money and freedom is the greatest way to change,
may you be rich and continue to help others.

My blog; facial skin care products