Friday, June 8, 2012

oh là là: Pink Bubblegum Cupcakes




I have come to that point in my life; where birthdays are no longer something I really look forward to anymore. The thought of turning twenty-four actually kinda scares me (my birthday is this month). I know that age probably seems quite young to a lot of people, but I personally thought I would have accomplished a little more, by this time. I am really not one to dwell in the past. I actually tend to live in the future. (I know, something I need to work on) There is something about birthdays that always causes us to look back, and analyze our lives.

            There is something very nostalgic about birthdays. Cake is even more so. Every year of our lives is marked by a birthday cake. It is a tradition we tend to grow old with. More than cringing at the number of candles on the cake, I think it is important to feel blessed for being given another year. Life is much too short to live with regret, or mindlessly dream about uncertain possibilities. We only have so much time to make our mark on the world, so try to make it count. ;-)

            I decided to make the girliest and most stylish cupcakes I could think of: Pink bubblegum cupcakes. I went a little nostalgic with the bubble gum. I was thinking about the bubblegum ice cream I used to get, as a child. You know, the “Pepto Bismol” pink ice cream that was filled with bits of bubblegum? I was also thinking about how trendy gumballs have become, and I thought, why not use that inspiration in a cupcake. I used a box cake mix (gasp!) for these cupcakes. In my defense, you will NOT believe they came from a box. It is lightest, airiest cake ever. Sour cream was used to add moisture and fluffiness to the cake. I used an American butter cream frosting: The best buttercream frosting you will ever tryl (In my opinion, the best homemade frosting.)

 For Decorating: Since I love all things French, I decided to go with a Parisian inspired look.


Recipe was adapted from Wedding Cake 101's:Wedding cake & cupcake recipe

Cupcakes:

Pink Bubblegum Cupcakes
Yield: 36 cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 18 min
Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
(I only had a 16 oz box of cake, and it worked fine)
1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup granulated white sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water

2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil

1/4 tsp of bubblegum oil ( I used LorAnn Oils)
2 tbsp. cake enhancer (optional: King Arthur, it adds so much moisture to the cake)

1 cup sour cream

4 large egg whites
Preheat oven to 325〫F, and line baking tins. In a mixing bowl combine: flour, cake mix, sugar, cake enhancer, and salt.


To dry ingredients add: egg whites, sour cream, oil, water, and flavoring. 


Use a scooper or batter dispenser to fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.


Bake for 18 min, until cupcakes spring back with light touch. 
 after five minutes of cooling in the pan (the cupcakes will start to contract from the edges) Place cupcakes on a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before frosting


My French whisk







6 comments:

Cherie said...

Oh my gosh those are gorgeous cupcakes!! They look too good to eat! :)

Erica said...

Wow! I will definitely have to try these.

Anna said...

Yum!!!! and sooo pretty!!!

Taylor said...

I tried these. They are sooooooo good!!! My friends couldn't believe they came from a box cake! Yours are so much prettier, of course! :)

Unknown said...

Super cute, love the colors

Kara said...

I made these for my husband, and he thought I stopped at a cupcake shop on my way home from work. He was SHOCKED I made them!!! ;) They are so light and fluffy!