Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Raspberry Lemonade Bundt Cake


It's funny how people tend to fall into two categories: those who like lemon, and those who like lime. It is very rare that a person actually likes both. I happen to prefer lemon. I do like lime in savory dishes, but I really like lemon in my baking. Don't get me wrong, like anyone else, I love a nice slice of Key Lime Pie, but for the most part, I prefer lemon.

I decided to make something a little different. I wanted to feature something light and refreshing. Bundt cakes starting to make a comeback. I think they are so dainty and classy. They are a nice alternative to a  regular cake.

The cake I am featuring is a lemon bundt cake from King Arthur Flour. It is heavenly! I has a silky texture that sets it apart from other recipes. The lemon flavor is nice and light, so it is not overpowering. The glaze I paired with it is a raspberry glaze. The tartness of the glaze is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the lemon. It was very simple to make, and was a nice break from writing a thirty page paper on the Apparel and Textile industry in Bangladesh.

Cake Recipe from: King Arthur Flour Glaze recipe adapted from: Heather Christo
You will need:


  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 cups  All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • finely grated rind of 2 lemons OR 3/4 teaspoon lemon oil
For the glaze:

2 Tbs Butter, Melted
2 Tbs corn syrup
3 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup blood Raspberry juice (from strained crushed raspberries)

2 Tbs heavy Cream
squeeze of lemon juice (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray bundt pan with a
 professional non-stick cooking spray.
In a stand mixer combine butter, sugar, and salt.
Beat until light and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition.
Add baking powder

Add flour and milk gradually, by alternating each addition.
 Start and end with the flour. 
Stir in lemon oil


Spoon batter into pan, smooth the surface with a spatula.
Bake for 55-60 minutes. Use a cake tester, by seeing if it comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for five minutes. Run a knife around the edges to help
release the cake. Put cooling rack on the bottom of the pan , and flip over. Allow cake
to cool completely before glazing.

Strain raspberries through a smaller strainer. Get enough to fill a 1/4
 cup measuring cup

Sift confectioner's sugar

Whisk together all of the glaze ingredients


Pour glaze onto cooled cake
Cut and serve!


7 comments:

Marie said...

Ooh this looks so good! I just a bundt pan, so I will have to try it out with this recipe!

Tessa said...

I have been wanting to try a recipe like this for a while now. This one looks even better.

Kate said...

Oh my gosh how pretty and pink! Did you use any food coloring in the icing? It is a perfect pink.

Unknown said...

Hi Kate! Nope I did not have to add any food coloring. It was a result of the ratio of raspberries to confectioners sugar. The raspberry juice was very red, but it was tinted pink by the white in the sugar. Hope you enjoy this recipe!

Tiffany said...

This looks amazing! Perfect for a spring dessert. Love the combination of lemon and raspberry.

Hannah said...

I made this yesterday for my sister's bridal shower. Everyone went crazy for it. I was hoping since it was so large, I would be able to have a few leftover pieces. Not a chance! The plate was clean within the first 20 minutes of the party. Thanks for the awesome recipe. It was a hit!

Amy said...

I made this last week for my friends birthday, because she does not like traditional cake. It was a hit. Every girl there was asking me for the recipe!