Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jello Cookies

Christmas means so things to so many people. To me, Christmas is first and foremost, about the birth of my savior. It is also about spending time with loved ones, and taking time to slow down and celebrate life (and each other). Christmas baking, has always been big for me. My mom had me and my sister baking, when we were very young. It was then, that I found my love for it. We made so many different types of cookies, and decorated them with our unique touches. I have always found cooking and baking to be very therapeutic. I especially loved giving away my creations. It was my way to use my creativity on a whole new level.
Preheat oven to 375〫You will need: 1 3oz. package of any flavor of jello, one cup granulated sugar, 3 sticks of butter, 1tsp.  vanilla, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp of baking powder, and 3 1/2 cups flour.
It's funny how Christmas changes as you grow older. As a child, Christmas is seen as a time in which imagination comes to life. Children are able to dream about the presents they are going to receive, and visit Santa at parades and shopping malls. For a child, it is a magical time that their wishes can come true. For some children (with painful childhoods) it is a break from reality. It is a time they don't have to think about the stress in their lives. Sadly, some of those children do not even get to experience a true Christmas.
Cream butter and sugar


Almost everyone has fond memories of Christmas. That is one time we are able to forget whatever is going in our lives, and take the moment for what-it-is. As we grow up, we are faced with reality and responsibility. We able see the world as it truly is. That is why so many wish to revert to the childlike innocent days of Christmas, when worries and cares were nonexistent.

Add Jello, egg, and Vanilla


I have several favorite Christmas cookies, but Jello Cookies have always stayed among my top two. They are super easy to make, and have a taste of their own. Do they actually taste like Jello? , They do have a sweet vibrant taste like jello, but they take on more dimension, as a cookie.

Add Flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until it starts to come together. 
You can use any flavor of Jello you'd like, but cherry and lime (stronger flavors) tend to taste the best. They are FULL of butter. When I mean full, I mean three whole sticks of butter, full. That is what makes them tastes soooo good. When it's the holidays it is okay to indulge a little.
Roll dough out, and use cookie cutters to make shapes. Bake for 8-9 minutes.


You can simply roll the dough into little balls and bake them, but I think it's a little more festive to cut them into shapes, and decorate them. These cookies have to be iced/frosted!! They simply cannot be served on their own. The store bought icing in a can works fine for binding the flavors together. Once you try these cookies, you will be so glad you did! Enjoy them, this holiday season, and have a blessed Christmas! 

Decorate and serve! Merry Christmas!!

 



1 comment:

Amy said...

Too pretty to eat. I used to have a Jello cookie recipe, but I lost it. I will have to try this one.